Re: STL Replacement

From: cthomas@eng.utah.edu
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 19:50:27 EET

I think the potential for a new format is interesting, but I have a concern:

The STL format is the most simple format I can imagine. The software that
creates the STL from a specific CAD format only has to deal with a single
entity; a triangle. The software must simply ensure that the triangles
completley enclose the part surface, and that the triangles all face out.
That's it! (unless I forgot something.)

We can develop more sophisticated formats that handle color, multiple
materials, functionally gradient materials, etc. I've seen papers in all
these areas. We've done some work here at Utah, but my concern is:

If the software vendor can't get STL right, why would we expect them to do
a better job on a more complicated format?

The problems you have with STL files isn't the format. The problem is with
the implementation of the format.

Regards,

chas.

>Dear List,
>
>AAROFLEX, Inc. operation continues to see, on occasion, flaws in STL
>files that produce some undesirable results. Usually, this occurs on a
>most crucial part to be fabricated. Of course, there are software
>packages to clean up the bad files, but this is time consuming and
>costly of which no is willing to pay or appreciate this extra work.
>This is a big hindrance to the growth of the industry in the day of
>automation. Therefore, this firm will be most happy to consider a new
>file format for the AAROFLEX Solid Imager. Just imagine having a simple
>file conversion to this new format that is more accurate, smaller file
>size, faster to manipulate, color sensitive, depth exposure sensitive
>and possess a step function to determine optimal layer thickness as well
>as print through. The software should be able to convert most 3D CAD
>files and be accompanied with a fast slicing algorithm. This appears to
>be very doable.
>
>Well, What do you think?
>
>Albert C. Young
>AAROFLEX, Inc.